10 New Years Practice: Cast a Spell with adrienne maree brown
Welcome to a very special New Years practice with adrienne maree brown, where she'll guide you through writing and casting a spell for yourself and your community to help transition you from 2017 to 2018. You'll need 30 minutes, a clear space, something to write on, and something to write with.
** If it helps you to have the prompts adrienne uses visually, scroll all the way to the bottom of these show notes for a list of the key questions for this practice. **
SHARE YOUR SPELL!
We'd love to hear from you about the spell you've written to transition into the new year. Share a selfie, the full text, one line, or just your reflections on what it was like to do this practice on social media with us - let's see what our community is conjuring for 2018! Find us on Instagram @healingjustice, like Healing Justice Podcast on Facebook, and tweet at us @hjpodcast on Twitter.
You can download the corresponding conversation called "10 Imagination & Critical Connection -- adrienne maree brown" to hear us talk about the imagination battles of our time, the conversations that need to be had beneath what we think we need, the relationship between critical connection and critical mass, how she manages her time and sense of urgency, and the transition into the new year.
Transcript coming soon!
About our guest
adrienne maree brown
adrienne maree brown is the author of Emergent Strategy: Shaping Change, Changing Worlds and the co-editor of Octavia's Brood: Science Fiction from Social Justice Movements. She is a writer, social justice facilitator, healer/doula, and pleasure activist living in Detroit, and co-host of the podcast How to Survive the End of the World.
KEEP LEARNING WITH ADRIENNE:
Read - Emergent Strategy: Shaping Change, Changing Worlds
adrienne’s column: “The Pleasure Dome” on Bitch Media
WILL YOU HELP US CONTINUE?
So many people need this support to help sustain their liberatory work, and these practices and this wisdom are not ours to sell. But we need money to continue this resource. We have radical faith that we can sustain this project on a gift economy, with the generosity of our community as our fuel.
Give any amount here: patreon.com/healingjustice
And if you feel moved to donate but would prefer to make a sizable tax-deductible donation, email email@example.com and we will send you the details to go through our fiscal sponsor. Thank you!
You can check out the incredible guests and topics we'll be featuring coming up, and sign up for the email list to hear when new episodes drop at www.healingjustice.org
This podcast is mixed and produced by Zach Meyer at the COALROOM
All visuals contributed by Josiah Werning
Intro and closing music gifted by Danny O’Brien
REFERENCE NOTES FOR THE PRACTICE:x
30 minutes, pen/pencil, journal or paper, a clear workspace, and a tarot deck if you already have one and like to use it (optional). ///
2017 Free Write Prompts:
- Were there things in this year that felt too heavy for me to carry?
- Were there things in this year that I learned about myself, about movements for justice, about how I want to be? Lessons that I want to carry forward? ///
Reflecting on the Present:
- How do I feel like I am in my power and in my dignity in this present moment?
- Where do I feel like I want to grow my power or dignity in this moment? ///
Looking Forward to 2018:
- What does liberation mean to me?
- What can I practice in this next year to increase my liberation and the liberation of my people? ///
Writing Your Spell:
- 1st stanza: What you’re letting go of and what lessons you’re carrying forward
- 2nd stanza: The power you’re standing in and what you want to lean into more
- 3rd stanza: With your eyes on liberation, what are you going to practice? You can also give a one time donation here.